Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Remotes, Resumes and Writers

Today was a fun day. I spent the morning running errands and chilling with other interns. The last new Late Night intern started today. It's crazy to think we're the last group. I go a little crazier every time I think of how I'm going to be in North Carolina for the very last show. It will be so weird to watch Conan at Elon.

Chris, my coordinator, came up to me around noon and asked if I wanted to go on a remote shoot. When I looked shocked he said, "you were interested in doing remotes, right?" "YES!" I exclaimed and grabbed my jacket. It was outdoors in 22 degrees, but I was hanging with writers and camera guys. It was so fun and really interesting to see the guys try out different takes and watch the joke making process. They were sweet and seemed impressed that I was eager to help, including holding cords and cue cards.

After the remote all of the interns went down for music rehearsal. It was like a free concert. Today's guest was "Fall Out Boy." This was the first time there was a musical guest who I at least recognized so I went down, too. I'm not a huge fan of the band, but I also thought it was cool to see them rehearse camera angles and I was fascinated at the smooth movements.

Rachel Witlieb, the segment producer, had my resume and offered to look it over earlier this week. I saw her in the hall and not only did she remember my name but she told me to stop by her office! So I did today and she gave me some great tips. I had been writing my resume from the reporter perspective, with emphasis on writing and editing abilities. She showed me how to slant it more to a producer job, displaying my organizational skills. I really appreciated her help.

The rest of the day was hanging with interns talking school and television until dinner. Then Chris came up to me with another piece of great news. One of Late Night's head writers, Brian Stack, had time to sit and talk with me. I was psyched to have the opportunity to sit down with him. I have been admiring his writing for at least ten years and I had the opportunity to pick his brain. I asked him about how he became a writer and what he loved about it - all the normal questions. I asked him about his past with the other writers and for any advice for a young, almost graduate. He was the sweetest guy with genuine and great advice. He's offered to look at some of my work, which flattered and amazed me. Fingers crossed he finds time to look at it!

No comments:

Post a Comment